GET A FREE MOVING TIMELINE GUIDE Get your guide today and start developing your moving timeline.
While it might be tempting, from a convenience and a price standpoint, to collect boxes from stores or the side of the road, having the right supplies can make all the difference, and be the difference between hauling hundreds of tiny boxes in and out of your house, or having boxes that seems like they were made just for your items. And that’s because they were! Did you know that there are different kinds of moving boxes? Boxes for clothes, boxes for dishes, TVs, and even books? Having the right kinds of boxes also helps to ensure security of your items, for example, dish barrels are reinforced to stand up to the heavy weight of the items you might place inside, while wardrobe boxes make it easy to transport hanging clothes from one place to another. Check out our break down of packing supplies you’ll definitely want to add to your list:
Breaking down the Boxes:
- Wardrobe Boxes: A wardrobe box is constructed with a hanger bar so that you can transfer shirts, blouses and suits directly from the closet into the box without folding or wrinkling your clothes. These boxes come in several heights to additionally accommodate for longer items such as dresses and pants.
- Dish Pack: Dish pack kits are compartmentalized to accommodate dinner plates, salad plates, saucers and bowls. Many kits include foam padding to enclose and isolate each piece to ensure safe transit.
- Book Box: These heavy duty boxes are reinforced with thicker walls for heavier applications. These are ideal for packing and protecting electronics, book collections and appliances
- Large Boxes: Ideal for lightweight and medium weight goods like lampshades, throw pillows and clothing.
- Parts Box: No special box is needed, here but this is a GREAT place to keep all those parts and pieces for items you might have needed to disassemble when packing. Place all the parts for the same items in labeled bags or containers so they don’t get lost in transit and items can easily be reassembled once you arrive at your new home.
- Medium Box: Ideal for small appliances and other household items. These boxes are often most compatible with dish pack and glass pack inserts used to keep fragile glassware insulated.
- Packing Paper: Unprinted news wrap is an ideal and inexpensive way to protect fragile items during a move. Unprinted paper stock provides the added advantage of a clean, ink-free move.
- Packing Tape: High quality box tape will ensure your boxes stay closed and items stay taped during transit. Make sure you have plenty of it on-hand when packing the house.
- Mirror Box: Specialty boxes that have adjustable sides to easily pack and protect items like mirrors, framed pictures, and art pieces.
- Flat Screen TV Box: Designed to fit your flat screen TV and help protect them during your relocation. Much better than wrapping it in sheets and towels and hoping for the best!
If you’re just beginning to plan for your move, make sure you educate yourself about the packing and moving supplies you will need and tips on how to pack and protect your items. Make sure to contact us if you are in search of supplies for your D.I.Y. packing jobs, or if you’re looking for a team to handle it all for you, contact ADSI Moving Systems to learn more about our full-service relocation options.