2017 Moving Trends: A Look at the United Van Lines Movers Study

GET A FREE MOVING TIMELINE GUIDE Get your guide today and start developing your moving timeline.

The 2017 United Van Lines Movers Study

A look at moving trends across the U.S.

United Van Lines has released their annual movers study which takes a closer look at where people are moving across the U.S. and why. It seems this year that many American’s are taking the advice of author Horace Greely, “Go West, young man!, as they continue to flock to the Mountain and Pacific West areas. States like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Nevada saw some of the largest rates of incoming relocations while many states in New England and the Midwest saw the largest rates of people leaving. According to Michael Stoll, an economist and professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, “This year’s data reflects longer-term trends of movement to the western and southern states, especially those where housing costs are relatively lower, climates are more temperate and job growth has been at or above the national average, among other factors”

Right here in the CSRA we are experiencing significant growth with the increase in tech and cyber related jobs, as well as growth in some other major area employers like Tax Slayer and ADP. In 2017 one of the top 10 states people were moving to included South Carolina, with 57% of moves tied to the state representing incoming residents. In addition to South Carolina, these other nine states saw significant growth in 2017:

  1. Vermont
  2. Oregon
  3. Idaho
  4. Nevada
  5. South Dakota
  6. Washington
  7. South Carolina
  8. North Carolina
  9. Colorado
  10. Alabama

Let’s take a closer look at how our two-state area stacked up across the board.

SOUTH CAROLINA RELOCATION TRENDS – 2017

In 2017 South Carolina saw some of the highest percentages of people moving into the state. Some 57% of people who relocated in the state this year were moving TO South Carolina, vs. 43% who were moving away. Wondering why all these people have Carolina on their minds? It’s no surprise that South Carolina draws many people looking for a relaxing place to retire, given the growing popularity of the states low-country region. In addition, a larger percentage of people moved into the state for employment changes or opportunities. See the chart below for a full break down of the top reasons people chose to relocate to South Carolina in 2017.

GEORGIA RELOCATION TRENDS – 2017

Georgia wasn’t far off the top of the inbound move charts. Some 53% of the relocations in Georgia had residents moving TO the state, while the remaining 47% were people leaving the state. The biggest difference in trends can be seen in the job market, where over 65% of respondents sighted employment as their reason. Not surprising considering the booming job market in Atlanta, as well as growth in some other major Georgia cities, including right here in the CSRA.  For a full break down, you can check out the chart below to see how GA stacks up against neighboring South Carolina. Since 1977, United Van Lines has been tracking relocation trends across the U.S. in their annual movers study. As an agent for United Van Lines, ADSI Moving Systems is proud to help support your relocation needs throughout the two-state area and across the U.S., in partnership with our United Van Lines agency network. As you are planning for 2018, if you find that a move is in your future, we look forward to the opportunity to serve you.

GET A FREE MOVING TIMELINE GUIDE Get your guide today and start developing your moving timeline.

residentialshort